Johnny Weir

Whether witty or wise, controversial or charming, shocking or silly, sweet or sassy, provocative or profound, inspiring or infuriating--or any combination of those--Johnny Weir, the three-time U.S. Champion, two-time Olympian, and World medalist figure skater, almost always says something worth quoting whenever he commentates a skating competition, makes a TV appearance, gives an interview, holds a press conference, writes, tweets, or is caught on video. His quotes needed to be collected and shared; hence this blog.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

I could’ve signed with that first agency at 16 years old and completely whitewashed myself. But I would have been boring. I would have never had the career I’ve had. I stuck to my guns and we created this brand and my agency, they support me as a human being.…Being the absolute truest brand of myself has been the greatest career asset I’ve had.
--washingtonblade.com, "Branding, marketing a complicated issue for out athletes," by by T.M. Philibin, August 24, 2017
(on not signing at age 16 with a sports marketing agency which would only represent him if he hid the fact that he was gay)

No comments:

Post a Comment