Johnny Weir

Whether witty or wise, controversial or charming, shocking or silly, sweet or sassy, provocative or profound, inspiring or infuriating--or any combination of those--Johnny Weir, the three-time U.S. Champion, two-time Olympian, and World medalist figure skater, almost always says something worth quoting whenever he commentates a skating competition, makes a TV appearance, gives an interview, holds a press conference, writes, tweets, or is caught on video. His quotes needed to be collected and shared; hence this blog.

Friday, April 20, 2012

When I returned from Russia, I was expecting to see some kind of announcement from my federation or the US Olympic Committee that I had won an award, but I didn't see anything. I know it's interesting when Evan Lysacek attends a movie premiere, and I could pee myself with glee if Kimmie Meissner throws out one more pitch at a baseball game, but I actually won something! I am very proud of it, and that's why I'm ranting, forgive me!
--figureskatersonline.com/johnnyweir, Johnny Weir Online, journal, "Around the World in a Month (JFK-PEK-HRB-HRB-PEK-SVO-JFK)," December 2, 2007
(on U.S. skating officials' silence regarding Johnny's winning the award "Lyubov k Rossii," ("The Love of Russia") 

Blogger's note: On December 7, 2007, Johnny added the following to his journal: "I want to thank the people at ESPN, staffers at USFSA and members of Skating Magazine for taking prompt action in recognizing my award that I was upset had gone unrecognized. I immediately got reactions for everyone after my latest journal entry was posted and I want to thank them for getting to me so quickly. I overreacted and they were a little out of the loop as far as my award, 'Lyubov k Rossii' goes. I am sorry for anyone I offended or hurt with my rant and I am glad the award is getting recognized by my country and federation. Thanks."

No comments:

Post a Comment