Johnny Weir

Whether witty or wise, controversial or charming, shocking or silly, sweet or sassy, provocative or profound, inspiring or infuriating--or any combination of those--Johnny Weir, the three-time U.S. Champion, two-time Olympian, and World medalist figure skater, almost always says something worth quoting whenever he commentates a skating competition, makes a TV appearance, gives an interview, holds a press conference, writes, tweets, or is caught on video. His quotes needed to be collected and shared; hence this blog.

Friday, February 10, 2012

When you are preparing for the Olympics, and it's really the only thing that you have in the world is this going to the Olympics or winning a medal at a World Championships, it seems like the biggest, most aggressive thing you can possibly think of.

But now that I've taken two years away from competition and, you know, I gave myself the time to eat and get fat and be happy and run around and do whatever I wanted whether it was write a book or record a song or get married, I gave myself the freedom to do those things, and now that I'm coming back, it's a completely different mind-frame as I realize that figure skating, while it is huge, and while the biggest part of my life for the most part, it isn't everything. So I can come back to competition without the pressure of my entire future resting on one performance or one two-minute stint in front of the judges and in front of the cameras of the world.
--press conference, U.S. Nationals, January 27, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment